CRAC postdoctoral fellowships – call for candidates
30 09 2020
CRAC 12-month postdoctoral fellowships in ancient studies
CALL FOR CANDIDATES
The Rector of the University of Warsaw invites applications for the position of two postdoctoral researchers under the Excellence Initiative – Research University Programme. The selected candidates will run their projects at the Centre for Research on Ancient Civilizations (CRAC) which brings together historians, classicists, archaeologists, orientalists, and Roman jurists from the University of Warsaw.
|Position||Postdoctoral researcher (adiunkt)|
|Job type||Research / research and teaching|
|Scientific discipline||History (main discipline) or Archaeology, Literary Studies, Linguistics (Classics or Oriental Studies) or Law|
|Type of employment (contract of employment, scholarship)||Fixed term employment contract|
|Working pattern/ Hours||Full time|
|Number of job offers||2|
|Salary||PLN 10 000 – 11 000 (gross) per month|
|Position starts on||December 1st, 2020 or within 12 months hereafter|
|Minimum period of employment||12 months|
|Department||Faculty of History|
|Project title||Ancient Societies in Action|
|Project description||The selected candidates will run their projects at the Centre for Research on Ancient Civilizations (CRAC) which brings together historians, classicists, archaeologists, orientalists, and Roman jurists from the University of Warsaw.|
|Job description and responsibilities||The selected candidates will:
● conduct autonomous research on the project submitted in the application, with great potential and impact on international scholarship
● take active part in academic life at the University of Warsaw, and CRAC in particular, i.a. attending seminars, delivering papers, lectures, sharing their knowledge and skills with other members of the academic community at UW
● disseminate results of their research through conference presentations and particularly publications affiliated with the UW and published in leading international journals and publishing houses
● actively contribute to strengthening the international position of the UW
● collaborate with university administration in all matters related to the project
● teach (OPTIONAL).
● a doctoral degree in any field of ancient studies such as history, classics, oriental studies, archaeology, Roman law, religious studies or similar
● documented experience in research within the field of ancient studies
● proven active participation in international academic life
● well-argued excellent research project dealing with any period of Antiquity
● excellent knowledge of English (corresponding min. to level C1)
● excellent communication skills, including the ability to present research results and write for publication
● ability and willingness to work as part of a scholarly community, share insights and findings, and engage in collaboration
● ability to complete projects and work to a deadline.
● specific plans to apply for further research grants affiliated with the University of Warsaw.
● specific publications plans.
● research experience outside of Poland
|Application||● CV and the list of publications
● cover letter
● proposal of the project to be completed at the University of Warsaw (up to 2000 words + bibliography)
● consent of a UW-based researcher* to act as host to the applicant.
● signed agreement for the processing of personal data by the University of Warsaw, which is attached to this call
● declaration that they have read and accepted the rules of the present selection process
All documents must be in English.
*The host must hold a habilitation or doctoral degree for at least three years and have experience in running research projects.
|What we offer||● Large, internationally connected and eager to collaborate scholarly community working within the field of ancient studies, supportive and eager to collaborate
● Possibility to get additional funding for various forms of academic activity such as conferences, sessions on international congresses, publications
● Office space, good or very good (depending on specific research field) library and especially electronic resources
● assistance in applying for further projects
● standard social security and medical insurance
● standard benefits package.
|How to apply||Please send an e-mail to: email@example.com with the subject line: “CRAC Post-doc”|
|Selection and recruitment procedure||Only the short-listed candidates will be invited to an online interview. The pre-selection and the interview are the first stage of the recruitment procedure for the position of adiunkt specified in the University of Warsaw Statute. Its positive conclusion will be the basis for further proceedings. The University of Warsaw reserves the right to cancel the call without providing reasons.|
|Questions||If you have any further questions, please contact Robert Wiśniewski firstname.lastname@example.org or Maria Nowak email@example.com|
|Closing date for applications||10 November 2020|
|Notification about the results||30 November 2020|
|Results will be announced||by e-mail|
given and family name
Information on personal data processing
Controller of your personal data processed in connection with the recruitment process is the University of Warsaw, ul. Krakowskie Przedmieście 26/28, 00-927 Warszawa, as the Employer.
Contact with the controller:
- by traditional mail at: University of Warsaw, ul. Krakowskie Przedmieście 26/28, 00-927 Warszawa (name the organizational unit to which your letter is addressed);
- by phone: 22 55 20 355.
Data Protection Officer (DPO)
Controller has designated Data Protection Officer whom you may contact via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may contact the DPO in all matters relating to your personal data processing by the University of Warsaw and the exercise of rights in relation to the processing of personal data.
The DPO, however, does not proceed other matters, like handling recruitment procedures, collecting recruitment documents, providing information on current recruitment process.
Purpose and legal grounds of data processing
Personal data of candidates for employment shall be processed for recruitment purposes only.
Your personal data shall be processed in the scope as indicated by employment law (given name (names) and family name, date of birth, contact information as provided, education, professional qualifications, previous employment) for the purposes of this recruitment process , whereas other data shall be processed based on your consent which may take the following wording:
I agree to the processing of personal data provided in …. (e.g. CV, cover letter, and other submitted documents) by the University of Warsaw for realising my recruitment process.
If your documents include data as mentioned in Art. 9 section 1 of the GDPR (special categories of personal data), processing shall be possible upon your consent to processing such data, which may take the following wording:
I agree to the processing of special categories of personal data, as mentioned in Art. 9 section 1 of the GDPR, provided in ……………… (e.g. CV, cover letter, and other submitted documents) by the University of Warsaw for realising my recruitment process.
The University of Warsaw shall be also processing your personal data in future recruitment processes upon your consent, which may take the following wording:
I consent to processing of my personal data for the purposes of any future recruitment processes at the University of Warsaw for the period of the next nine months.
You may revoke all such consents at any time by, for example, sending an email at email@example.com.
Be advised that the revocation of your consent does not affect legal compliance of processing which had been completed upon consent before its revocation.
Data retention period
Your personal data collected in this recruitment process shall be stored over the period of three months from the date the recruitment process is completed.
In case you agree to process your data in future recruitments, your data shall be used over the period of nine months.
Officers authorized by the Controller shall have access to your personal data, the processing of which is in the scope of their duties.
Data transfer outside the European Economic Area (EEA)
Your personal data shall be disclosed to subjects authorized by law. Signing-in is through Google Forms. Your personal data may be also processed by our provider of G-Suit for education by Google Company in their data processing centres. Your data shall be protected under the standards of the Privacy Shield, accepted by the European Commission. This shall guarantee an adequate level of data security.
Rights of the data subject
Under the GDPR data subjects have the following rights:
- to access data and to receive copies of the actual data;
- to correct (rectify) your personal data;
- to restrict processing of personal data;
- to erase personal data, subject to provisions of Art. 17 section 3 of the GDPR;
- to file a claim with the President of the Personal Data Protection Office, if you believe data processing violates law.
Information on the requirement to provide data
Providing your personal data in the scope resulting from law is necessary to participate in the recruitment process. Providing other personal data is voluntary.
(place and date) (applicant’s signature)
 Art. 22¹ of the law of June 26, 1974 Labour Code (i.e. Journal of Laws 2019 item 1040 with subsequent changes).
 Art. 6 section 1 letter b of the Regulation of the European Parliament and the Council (EU) 2016/679 of April 27, 2016 on protection of individual persons with regard to the personal data processing and on the free flow of such data, and also repealing Directive 95/46/EC (general regulation on data protection) (Official Journal EU L 119 of 04.05.2016, page 1, with subsequent changes) (hereinafter as the GDPR).
 Art. 6 section 1 letter a of the GDPR.
 Art. 9 section 2 letter a GDPR.
 Art. 6 section 1 letter a GDPR.
 Art. 7 section 3 GDPR.